October 15, 2004

Comments

CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME WITH AN E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR KAY REDFIELD JAMISON. I HAVE IMPORTANT RESEARCH DATA FOR HER?

Posted by: LISA at October 8, 2005 1:38 PM

I am mexican, and I am writing a book called The Emotional Pendule, about bipollar disorder. Can you put me in touch with Kay Jamison? Thank you.

Posted by: adriana perez at November 8, 2005 7:26 AM

I saw an interview with Kay Jamison which was relative to the death of Jay Maloney. It mentioned that Kay also suffers from a form of bi-polar disorder. I had though of writing a book; but now I'm more interested in simply learning how to deal with this degenerative illness. I've seen many doctors, tried all medications available, drank for over 25 years but was able to stop that some 10 years ago. Now, I simply live as a recluse with little hope for the future. My eldest son has been diagnosed with manic depressive disorder and refuses to acknowledge this. He seeks his own drug therapy outide the legal realms which have, so far, ruined his life. I fear the future for my son, and now my young daughter who has learning disabilities and may be suseptible to this illness once she reaches puberty or sooner. She already displays signs of emotional issues at age 11, but I'm unsure whether this is attributed to an invironmental atmosphere (my disorder coupled with the battle of menopause as well as physical disorders.)

I'm well into middle age so Kay would be well aware of how this illness would have been seen and treated in my early years. If you wish to contact me, please feel free to use the email address attached to this post. Thank you

Posted by: Deb at April 22, 2006 5:05 AM

My son is 25 and is Biplor and ADD. He has no insurance right now and lives in Houston, Texas. Were can get get help to find/see a good doctor that won't cost him a lot? And where can he get medication that won't cost as much since he is without insurance and going to school soon? Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Jan L.

Posted by: Jan L. at June 6, 2006 11:06 AM

Deb, I am so sorry for you. I have been diagnosed bpI since 19. God helped me get serious to find a good man with good insurance. I didn't date or kiss a man for 6 years and waited on God. But your little girl needs you now. She can't wait. You've got to prevent damage to her. Please write Oprah,Bill Gates, Phizer Company Research co. to get help with the meds. How is your son surviving? Please write me and I'l be a shoulder if not more. Be Agressive. This is your chance for you and your kids to get it right. Do it. We have to take our medicine. I remember a famous authour who's bi-polar asked me if I was taking my medicine because he knows that's what it takes unfortunately or fortunately because we would be locked up if we didn't have it. I can't even remember the author's name, but there are so many brilliant people with BP out there. Please write me. Lisa

Posted by: lisa anthony at July 12, 2006 12:59 AM

I have suffered with bipolar 1 disorde for almost 40 years. I find it helps me to write. That is when I'm not depreessed and can get motivated. Heere is a poem I just wrote after a period of depression that lasted a year and a half.

Out of the Darkness 6-8-07

I'm out and about
I'm back on my feet
Now life is good
And I feel refreshed
I'm back in the game
Like I neveer left
I will stay in the light
As long as I can
To stay out of the darkness
Is my plan.

Steven John

Posted by: Steven Moeck at June 9, 2007 6:04 AM

Does anyone know Kay Jamison's email address? It would mean a great deal to me!

Posted by: Jessica at November 18, 2007 3:47 PM

My 25 year old son was diagnosed as bipolar 1/13/07. He was placed on 3 medications, including cymbalta. 2 weeks later, the MD doubled one of his meds. My son complained about being sick and the MD couldn't see him for 3 days. When he did go, the MD added xanax, now he was on 4 meds. two weeks later, he was found dead on the bedroom floor. He was anxious but not depressed as the MD said... but he was placed on cymbalta anyway. The examiner report only showed that to be in his system. No drugs, no alchohol, nothing. Sad, my only child is gone. I wish I could speak to Dr. Jamison. I've started a foundation for my son, and would like to provide funds to JH University Hospital. Can anyone get back to me with either answer? Thank you.

Posted by: Betty Ann Fuller at December 11, 2007 6:54 AM

I would like to get in touch with Ms. Redfield Jamison. I have documented my own bi-polar experience on paper that I believe she would be very interested in as I did it comletely unaware of my state of mind. If known please e-mail me at rd_danielson@hotmail.com

Posted by: Robin Danielson Brooks at December 29, 2007 8:43 PM

A personal letter goes farther than an email. Her is address to write Kay:

ATTN: Kay Redfield Jamison
Meyer 3-181
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 North Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21287

This is straight from the Johns Hopkins website. I did this for those of you who didn't think about finding the address this way. May G-d help you all and bless you all with complete recoveries and may Mashiach come Nachon. Amayn.

Posted by: Anonymous at February 14, 2008 8:05 AM

Deb and Jessica, my heart goes out to your families and children dealing with bipolar. I'm 25 years old and was diagnosed when I was 18. Life has been hard since 2000 but through strong family support, faith, and patience with the medication I have survived. The best advice I can give you is take one day at a time. I finally got to go back to college and there are some companies that offer benefits to part time workers. When your searching for a doctor, ask for references and make sure you feel comfortable talking with them. However, I'm going to graduate soon so if anyone else has references for affordable private insurance or medication services I would be interested.

Posted by: Ann at February 21, 2008 8:00 PM

Dear All,
does anybody have email adress of Prof. Kay Jamison? I would like to read her books titled "Touched with fire" and "An Unquiet Mind". Does anybody have a kind heart to send them to me? I am from Indonesia and I am diagnosed as having panic attack since 1997. Thank you.

Posted by: Trina Tallei at May 12, 2008 8:27 AM

I am a 30 yr. old educator who is currently "walking on the edge" of life.I am living through a manic episode and attempting to control myself with alcohol and drugs. The only problem is that that doesn't work at all. Eventually I will wing up in jail or dead...hopefully soon!

Posted by: Kevin Black at May 25, 2008 5:32 PM

Dear Bill, I hope you get some help. Also, I'm pretty sure Jamison is a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Janet at July 2, 2008 1:58 PM

Just wanting to talk to someone about bipolar since the guy I just broke up with has it and he's not on his meds that he's been taking for many years. It was because of me that he's not taking them, cause I selfishly suggested that he doesn't because of the so many side affects that he was having and I liked him better without them. He was more alert and more fun! What a mistake...I know that now! But I guess I knew what I was getting into and the consequences going in, and what could happen if he wasn't on his meds. He even tried to warn me, that he would run, but he'd be back. I didn't care, I just cared about my new found happiness that I'd never had in my life at that very moment! I figured since I was in his life and he was so in love with me...that it could make a difference this time around in his mania. I had been through some bipolar experiences with my friend and her father before so I wasn't walking in blind sited.

It has been a very devastating breakup for me and I'm trying to get through it. I can't eat properly or sleep well and I'm going through my own anxiety. My mind is playing tricks with me constantly too...I can't even sleep at my own apartment yet...since he is all I see there. I wish I could push a delete button on some of my memory banks!

I believe that he is on his high right now and on his way to his mania. He left me because of his cyberspace involvement with an old friend of his from 20 years ago that he used to do drugs with and he thinks he's head over heals in love with her after 2 weeks just communicating via email...not even by phone yet. I guess I just want some validation about the bipolar and see if I can't get some understanding about it and press on with my life...which is very hard to do since he was such an intricate part of it.

I have read Jamison's book "The Unquiet Mind" and it all sounds too familiar. I was hoping even to get in touch with her...but I figured that was impossible. I guess posting this could get some comments that would be helpful. I just hate to give him up! I wake up constantly in the night hearing his voice commenting on something or other. We spent more fun loving times together in the past 8 months than I did with my husband of 30 years. He's 53 and I'm 51. I am so hurt by all of this. I've never been through anything like this before. Oh and I have told his family finally that he is not taking the meds, just in case God forbid that they need to rescue him.

I just need some comfort! Thanks in advance to anyone who comments!

Posted by: Valerie at September 23, 2008 3:50 AM

I have been bipolar 1 since 1989 - almost twenty years. My illness comes ever other June & July (full-blown mania) and runs through August & September (lows). Is there hope for me that the medication will work and not cut through with these horrible shifts in mood. I am also writing a book entitled "The Calming Storm" which is just about finished. Pleae let me know your thoughts.

Posted by: Caroline Naughton at November 5, 2008 10:39 AM

I was glad to find this blog.

Posted by: Robert at February 28, 2009 9:41 AM

I have an interest in publishing a book describing my experience with Bipolar Disorder. This story is an autobiography, and I was wondering if Kay Redfield Jamison might offer some suggestions? What are the negative and positive aspects regarding the exposure of a mental illness.

Posted by: Grace Kelley at August 6, 2009 4:22 PM

I have an interes in publishing an autobiography regarding my experience with Bipolar Disorder. I was if Kay Redfield Jamison might offfer some advice? What are the negative and positive aspects. Thanks, Grace Kelley

Posted by: Grace Kelley at August 6, 2009 4:31 PM

Hi ladies I have read your book called KAY considered a non-head I want to ask a question about this reality creates its own izninizle.Delilik essence of the promise not understand.açıklarmısınız. Thanks ...

Posted by: koray at December 5, 2009 2:33 PM

I've been suffering from bipolar (undiagnosed until 4 yrs ago) since I was 18yrs old. I,m now 52!! Years of exactly the same hell that Kay writes in her "Unquiet Mind". I'm interested to know if she thinks that alcohol could have triggered hers, as I'm convinced it did mine...also started during my university days!!!?? There must be an alcohol related trigger to the onset of this dreadful infliction.
Annie