July 4, 2005

Comments

i just found out my son is bipolar mania severe. has all the symptoms except halucinating. he is in jail now waiting a rainment be cause he broke his probation. he got a DUI. He had a young girl friend 16 and he was 18. prosicuted, reduced to endangerment to a child. I'm so afraid when he appears before the judge this time he will put him in prison. We just started his treatment in nov. he's been a total of 5 or 6 times. he's just deciding himself that he does need some help. one doctor had him on depkote. which he would not stay on. we didn't know at the time waht is was for. I know in prison he won't get the help he needs but i'm so sure that's where is is headed. the judge said last time if he was bipolar he could learn to stay out of touble. but his life gets so heavy with problems he turns to drinking. he has even said yes i'm pretty confident in my self. then to the counsilor i've never told any one this before but i know i could take a bullet below the neck and it would not kill me.
what i'm i going to do or is there anythig i can do but watch him go to prison and the age of 22.

Posted by: leslie trevino at March 17, 2008 9:57 PM

I am 60 yrs old and was diagnosed when I was 32. I have stayed on the meds and have been married 28 yrs with 4 great kids and a great job as a Sr Auditor for NYS for 18yrs. I have good and not so good days but without the meds I would be hospitalized. If you want a life you need to listen to your Dr and take your meds. Good Luck

Posted by: David Hall at August 2, 2008 9:13 PM

This is absolutely atrocious, that anyone would want people's constitutional rights taken away because of a few tragedies. How many tragedies have occurred by people on some sort of psych drug? Most SSRIs have a very short half life, yet the Columbine killings had been planned for about a year and were not an impulse act by someone skipping doses.
I have my own story, but will post it later as I don't feel like posting everything right now. I will say this, though: that if the proponents of this law actually cared about the people they call "mentally ill," then they would want every alternative exhausted before wanting people on these toxic drugs.

Posted by: J at May 1, 2009 10:56 AM

Since I don’t personally know you or your mom, I don’t know if I can be a lot of help. But I have a few sstegugions. If you have a friend who already knows how you feel or who you might be able to tell first, you might try talking to your friend and have your friend there when you talk to your mom. Another idea is to look for ideas online; you might find something that sounds right for you. My other suggestion is to write a letter. When I was 17 I was going through some things and I didn’t know how to tell my mom, so I wrote a poem. If writing would be right for you, then just start writing; maybe you could even show her this website and let her know that you feel like you could have Bipolar and that you would like to talk to a psychiatrist or psychologist to try and figure out for sure. Remember, Bipolar and every other mental illness is just that, an illness. Nobody can control it, some people need medication. I try to remind myself that just like people who have diabetes and need medicine, I have Bipolar and need medicine. Don’t ever forget that you are not alone, even celebrities like Demi Lovato have Bipolar. Remember to stay strong.

Posted by: Suetosd at October 14, 2012 6:14 PM