August 24, 2005

Comments

Hello,
My grand nephew is Christopher Merkle and he is incarcerated in Union Correctional institute in Florida. He is a person that has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and is currently taking Thorazine and Depakote for the illness.
Recently, they tested him for drugs and said that it was positive which will put him in the box for 6 months I understand. First, he denies this and we all know what crimes he has committed. He has been institutionalized ince a child. We are afraid for him in isolation because of his illness. He swears he didn't do the drug, thc, that was found and perhaps it came out positive because of the legal drugs he must take. Isn't there anyway that he could be kept out of isolation and perhaps prisons and guards in particular should learn about mental illness more. My sister, his grandmother, is falling apart because she really knows about his childhood and wants help for his illness.
Roberta Whitacre
Cincinnati Ohio
45211

Posted by: Roberta J. Whitacre at July 5, 2006 9:15 AM

I have a son 25 years old, who is bipolar also. I do not have any answers for you. I am on the same road. Both of my boys were diagnosed by ADHD as children and placed on medication. We tried family consuling, nothing seemed to help. They took themself off of medications because it seemed to make them very aggitated as they would come down off of it. We have struggled through 15 years now. The oldest is 28 trying to live alone with multible mental problems, barly surviving. He has no drug or alcohol problems. My youngest is Bipolar with a cocaine addition and in the county jail for the 2nd time. The mental health system is overwelmed..so they just keep falling through the cracks. Hopefully I can get the judge to order him into a drug treatment program. It is just so hard to have a lot of hope when you feel like medical science does not have alot to offer these people and the drugs are so prevealant! My youngest has been saved while in jail, and wants help so badly, and my oldest has decided that there is no God or many Gods and only good and bad and he can do it on his own. In the mean time I am trying to educate myself on there mental problems and drugs and the mental health system and drug rehabilitation and it looks dim, but I will not give up! You don't either, and never stop praying for God to guide us through to do the best that we can. Evenually the court system and the government will realise that there money would be better spent on mental health and drug rehabilition then jail and the court system with no answers for these people.

Posted by: Connie Watts at April 2, 2007 9:16 AM

My son is 41 and bi polar in Texas. He is facing prison and has two children with him two not. He is a good Father to his little girls , if he goes I willof course have the girls, I already have one with me. I know prison is not the answer but like most people with mental disorders and we all have them in one way are the other, the ones who most need medicine to live in a "normal" world will not take them. I have a sister who is diagonoised as 'Paronoid scitsophrenic" she will not take anything and is 66 years old living in a shack a lot of time with no electicity.
I admit I am just now realizing my son is really mentally unstabel A little late but could I have done anything different?? Only God has that answer.
Thanks for letting me vent.
I was glad to read that the prisons are full of mentally chalenged pepole finally!!! The streets are full of them too It is sad that we can help allother countries but we can't help our own people . God help us all.

Posted by: Gloria Watts at June 26, 2007 5:35 AM

my son is bipolar, they say he commited a crime, but with a witness that changed her statement to save her. A year later we found a hospital to help him. He has asked for help. Our attorney told us we do not want to take the medical route.
I told him he has a mental illness. I cannot get him to understand and the state doesn't give a damm. I understand that there is a mental health court in Sarasota County Florida, but he said we do not want to do that!!! Am I wrong for my son admitting to his disablity??
Can anyone help me???????????????????????????????

Posted by: carla at November 5, 2007 5:12 PM

MR. DUNCAN MCCORMARK,AS YOU WELL KNOW ,MY SON IS LIVING WITH A EMOTINAL DISORDER [SINCE CHILDHOOD].I CAN'T HELP BUT BE CONCERN, FOR HIS HEALTH. FOR SINCE HE BEEN LOCKUP 10-24-2007.HE'S BEEN IN MAXIUM CUSTOMY,FOR AS AGAIN ,YOU KNOW THIS AND HE HAVES BEEN DENIAL HIS ABLIIFY ,PRESCRIBE BY MICHELLE SCARGLE M.D. WHEN HE WAS OUT,NEITHER IS HE GETTING WHAT YOUR DOCTOR KARL D. JONES[FLUPHENAZINE]THAT HE USE TO GET, LAST YEAR,WHEN HE WAS IN YOUR PROGRAM .FOR WHATEVER REASON, HE AND I WERE BOTH TOLD, BY THE MEDICAL STAFF, " HE DON'T NEED IT ".AS IF HE SUDDENLY HEAL, [AFTER BEEN BEATEN AND TASER BY THE SHERIFF"s DEPARTMENT THE NIGHT HE WAS ARREST]. ARE THEY CRAZY TOO? HE TRY TO REACH OUT TO YOU, SINCE YOUR LAST AND ONLY VISIT, WITH NO REPLY HE'S THREW "62"FORMS.THE STAFF DON'T SEEN TO UNDERSTAND, HIS DISEASE AND WHAT HE'S ENDORING,TRYING TO BE HARD SO HE WON"T BE A TARGET, IN MAXIUM.ARE YOU UPSET WITH ME ABOUT THAT LETTER? PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON HIM, I AM SORRY,I'M SO OUTSPOKEN ,YET AT TIMES, I FEEL I NEED TO BE HIS VOICE. [YOU KNOW].THIS PUNISHMENT CAN NEVER FIT THE CRIME.HE REALLY NEEDS YOUR HELP ,BESIDES YOU ARE THE HOPE, RIGHT? IN THE INTEREST OF Johnny Ray Amey.

Posted by: M.GREENE at December 15, 2007 6:17 AM

In ithe interest of, Johnny Ray Amey.a inmate at Pinellas County Jail,HE goes to court friday 12/21/07 at 8:30 a.m ,Due to being over charge in his case ,i'm afraid, that instead of getting treatment for his problem. he may be sent to prison ,will you be there to speak on his behalf?besides doing his arrest, he's was being treated aggressive ,not being aggressive.I was there and arrested AS well,yet i did ever thing i could humanly possible {with what i was seeing with my own eyes troubles me as of this day } not to be arrested ,but i was anyway . this case is now under investigation ,my battery charge was drop .What does that tell you about this case?I hope the right thing comes from all of this. like i said in the past,"JRA" has been on medication for one thing or another,since he was five.At first they didn't understand what was going on with him at such a tender age ,until i told the doctors about my mother[Later, she die in 2002 at 70 yrs.on John's birthday a day after hers,]what i had heard as a child ,why she never raise any of her eight children.when "I became a teenager, i also became my mother's ,mother" I Knew my son had somehow inherit my mother's disease, MUST you feel he's been punish enough?

Posted by: M.Greene at December 16, 2007 10:27 AM

i need help....more so my 21 yr old son needs help. he has biopolar and is going to prison.are there advocats for him? his charges are very serious.safe cracking and felon w/arms...stealing a vehicle.i am concerned because he is in protective custody in jail. they are refusing to give him the proper meds and antidepressants instead which i was told bring on biopolar. HELP!
SHEILA GOMEZ

Posted by: SHEILA at April 6, 2008 3:10 PM

At last I found the right site. There is hope for psychiatric issues. Thanks to all those who care for these people in our society who are so helpless.

Posted by: Vimal Singh at January 9, 2011 8:07 PM