September 15, 2005

Comments

I personally would not disclose to your employer you have bipolar disorder, my last 2 jobs, I was on the fast track, literally, but once it was disclosed that I was Bipolar 1 within 2 years, I recieved no raises, promotions, and was eventually dismissed.

Posted by: justbipolar at September 16, 2005 6:26 AM

My sister-in-law chose not to reveal her bipolar to her employer. Now after loosing her House to hurricane Katrina, her boss (hospital administrator) trapped her into an involunatary resignation(duress)when she could not cope with all the losses. I believe she would have been better off disclosing everything, now she has no appeal rights and he refuses to rescind the resignation. (she still hasn't told him about her handicap)

Posted by: Harry at September 26, 2005 10:15 AM

My husband has been working for his employer for 8 months. Therefor he isn't protected yet under the ADA (12 months enables protection). Recently he's had a depressive episode that is effecting his ability to focus, and causing problems at work. He's also lost time at work because of depression and Dr. visits. His boss wants to know "what's going on", so we're forced to disclose his bipolar. I don't know what will come of it, but if he loses this job it will absolutely devistate him, and our finances. Any suggestions from anyone as to how we can help him keep his job?

Posted by: Valerie at October 22, 2005 8:46 AM

My husband has been working for his employer for 8 months. Therefore he isn't protected yet under the ADA (12 months enables protection). Recently he's had a depressive episode that is effecting his ability to focus, and causing problems at work. He's also lost time at work because of depression and Dr. visits. His boss wants to know "what's going on", so we're forced to disclose his bipolar. I don't know what will come of it, but if he loses this job it will absolutely devistate him, and our finances. Any suggestions from anyone as to how we can help him keep his job?

Posted by: Valerie at October 22, 2005 8:47 AM

It's just one of those cold, hard facts of life, that A. others don't really care about you, and B. people don't like to take risks if they have a choice between job candidate A and job candidate B.

So even though us bipolars know that we are gifted with more creativity than your average bear, and we can prove this by showing others the list of famous bipolars (and unipolars,) there is unfortunately more ignorance of the pros as well as cons of such mental illnesses, as well as way too much stigma and putting everyone with a mental illness into the same category, irregardless of how severe they have it, or how they experience it (as mental illnesses are not "one size fits all by any means."

Wrapping this all up, you can see why it is best to keep it a secret unless you *are* famous for your creativity. Because it is just plain human nature for people to choose candidate B in order to lessen their risk that you may have a severe case either now or in the future, severe enough to put you on disability.

I think too, it is human nature for people to get a kick out of others troubles - it makes them feel superior and happy they don't have as large a problem to deal with in comparison. Another unfortunate fact of human nature.

So - suck it up, and hide it from everyone but your spouse, until you become famous.

Posted by: Jim G at October 17, 2006 12:06 AM

My disorder has limited my ability to maintain jobs that i must have to survive. I have heard of an organization that helps place people with bipolar into meaningful jobs with the employers KNOWING the issues. I am very smart and driven but must have alot of structure. Has anyone heard of this organization and if so can you help me out?

Posted by: Allison Estrada at May 5, 2008 10:43 AM

I had got a desire to make my own company, however I did not earn enough amount of cash to do this. Thank God my close fellow told to utilize the loans. Thus I took the small business loan and made real my old dream.

Posted by: Louise30Hodges at December 31, 2010 8:12 AM

Yo, good lokoin out! Gonna make it work now.

Posted by: Rayann at February 2, 2012 4:14 PM