September 20, 2005

Comments

Very interesting & informative for myself & son. Would enjoy more info,especially interaction for family members, as this is a new diagnosis for my son, aged 20.

Posted by: Lanna Aber at March 18, 2006 3:58 PM

I am writing this out of desperation! My mother who is 52 years old has severe bi polar disorder she also has a history of alcholism, mild drug use/and throid disorder. She has used alcohol to treat her mania, and it of course only made things worse. She is mentally disabled, and on disabilty, She cannot work, and has lived with me and my husband and kids for at least 13 of my 16 years married. You can NOT even imaging all I have been through! Once if not more a year I have to put her in rehab for help because she gets so bad. She argues all the time, about anything and gets louder and louder, she can never Not speak her mind even when she knows it will only make matters worse. For so many years I have been her fail safe always there to rescue her when she was evicted or didnt have food or when or whatever her crisis. However, I give up now, I feel so guilty, because I feel if I let her move out she will not live long, or she will get in trouble and i cant save her. I have two young daughters who listen to the loud mean agruments that she often starts and her behavior is affecting my kids too. I do not know what she will or can do but I myself am only 36 and I have been her Parent for soo long, I just cant deal with the guilt of getting angry with her or putting her in rehab, as she blames me and our family for causing the problems and she plays on my guilt. I know i am not the only adult child of a person with severe bi poplar but i need any help or advise there is to be offerd, i am desperate.

Posted by: Andrea Wells at September 2, 2006 7:03 PM

your story seems all too familiar, i too have been coping with my mums illness since age 12 i am now 37... i ended up having to make a cruel choice for which im only half guilty...i chose my daughter she was being too traumatised by my mums behaviour...i just couldnt do it anymore. I have suffered the burden since childhood i couldnt put it on my daughter or myself anymore, each manic episode brings with it horrible flashbacks of things she has done while manic before....what can i say, i feel for you. I know the drill all too well

Posted by: Rebecca at October 23, 2006 9:10 AM

My family thinks I'm the devil himself. Part of it is the bipolar, and the rest of it living in a dysfunctional family. It has been postulated that growing up in a perfection-expectant environment is about the same as growing up in a family where alcoholics are practicing their disease. I'll take responsibility for what I own, but I am definitely NOT the only sick person in my family.

Posted by: Ginger at March 1, 2008 10:57 PM

my adult son has bipolar disorder and i feel so guilty that he does not live with me. he is 28 yrs old and lives with his father. his father cannot cope with his illness and usually ignores him and does not come home until late at night when my son is already asleep. my son has no friends and no outside hobbies or activities. i live in another state. my mind is worried about him all day and all night. we talk on the phone each day, but i cannot do everything for him long distance. help. what else can i do for him?

Posted by: nina at August 29, 2008 7:57 PM

Let me get this straight.

Bipolar symptoms get worse if the bipolar person's feelings are hurt.

I've been dealing with my bipolar mother since I was a kid and I'm in my 40s now, waiting for that glorious day when she dies.

I am so completely sick of these people for whom only their feelings and self-opinion matters. One day interplanetary travel will be invented and I promise you that the very first people who line up for admission will be the family caregivers of the severely mentally ill.

Another planet? Yep, that seems far enough. Oh, were your feelings hurt by that....?

Posted by: Someone at October 16, 2010 11:03 PM

Don't have enough cash to buy a house? You should not worry, just because that's achievable to receive the mortgage loans to resolve all the problems. Thence get a collateral loan to buy all you require.

Posted by: Letha32Hardin at August 3, 2011 9:21 PM

No quesiton this is the place to get this info, thanks y'all.

Posted by: Carlie at February 3, 2012 2:30 AM