January 24, 2006

Comments

All I can sa is thank you. I am going through this exact situation right now and thought I was alone. Thank you.

Posted by: jeffrey l at January 29, 2006 5:49 PM

What is flextime?

Posted by: David Haase at February 2, 2006 1:40 PM

I just lost my job. I was a manager in a salon. I have been diagnsed with with bipolar disorder for 3 years now and trying to get evened out

Posted by: amanda steinhilber at September 16, 2007 12:24 PM

I was diagnosed with bipolar 13 years ago and have been on meds ever since. I have had 13 jobs in 25 years, and fired from 7 of those.

I have authored a blog titled The Bipolar CEO which is primarily a memoir of my past and present life with bipolar.
www.bipolarceo.com

Posted by: Greg at October 4, 2007 1:50 PM

my boyfriend is lucky. he had the courage to explain his disorder to his boss and his boss is VERY understanding. My boyfriend has walked out, telling him (his boss) that he quit and his boss just waited a couple hours and then called him to see if he really wanted to quit or not. =)
He's a really awesome guy. Idk what we would do if he didn't have such a great boss.

Posted by: Amber at December 27, 2007 2:27 AM

I work for about half of the salary I'd make if I weren't bipolar. That way the boss can't complain when I have my winter slump. Of course, I don't get paid extra for the increased productivity when I'm hypomanic.

Being bipolar wouldn't be so bad if the shrinks and the so-called advocacy groups didn't try to make everyone believe we're useless or worse.

Posted by: Void at April 5, 2008 5:34 PM

Have been bi-polar for 20yrs
and have lost many jobs due to panic attacks. Im on dissabiity now but my family neighbors ect think im just to lazy to work. To bad it can't be passed into a law and we cant get equal rights
that people with other handicapes have.

Posted by: sherry at April 9, 2008 4:41 PM

I lost my job in aug of 2007 after telling them that i was having problems with my medication. They said I should have told them earlier.
What a load of hewey...

Posted by: Sue at May 14, 2008 10:16 PM

There was so much stress for me at work I finally had to "come out" and tell my employer I had bipolar disorder and needed accommodation. My doc even sent a letter notifying them I would need time for appointments and those times for "exacerbation of my condition". This wonderful, sympathetic employer did what most do; they gave me a bad performance review and terminated me within a week of receiving the letter.
If only there were a mechanism for teaching employers how to deal with bipolar employees! We are not throw away people, no more than someone with epilepsy, diabetes or cancer.

Posted by: Cathi at June 9, 2008 5:23 AM

I was pretty much forced to quit my last job due to discrimination. I didn't tell my employer about my bipolar disorder. He already discriminated against me for being female. I found out that after taking a leave of absence and trying to get back to work, people were spreading vicious rumors behind my back. I wasn't even aware of what was going on until after I quit. They sent the police to my house saying that I threatened to go kill everyone. It was completely false. Then my manager and the branch manager told everyone not to have anything to do with me because I'm crazy. Complete discrimination! I wish there was some kind of recourse. Instead, I'm having trouble finding and keeping a job and have spent my entire savings supporting myself.

Posted by: k at August 1, 2008 11:36 PM

I was diagnosed with manic depression 10 years ago and thanks to God Im well and managing my life just like anyone else would I havnt had any indication of mania or severe depression in 10 years however I do stuggle with emloyment too much stress can cause me to feel overwelmed everyone should know that God never gives us anything we cant handle.

Posted by: Chirs at September 25, 2008 4:37 PM

wow, I canot believe so many ppl who are like me.. I am 41, I have had 50... thats right 50 jobs. I am a hard smart motivated worker...but I just can't keep my mouth shut... Henry miller write... in the tropic of cancer I think... that he never lasted very long at jobs, because he was like a spotlight, shining on all of the bullshit, and would always get canned....

I struggled for so many yrs, till finally I saw an ad for bi-polarism... and holy crap! that was me to a t.... I went to a shrink, on a friends advice... I had already been on prozac for pms for like 4 yrs, the shrink wanted to put me on lemectal... I said no....

but apparantly I am as bipolar as they come... having a very tough time now... trying to finish a degree... scared to get a job and have it all get screwed up again... even when I think I am doing great....nope...

Posted by: jamie at September 27, 2008 6:21 PM