September 25, 2007

Comments

Dear friends

I am a 42-years-old guy with bipolar-I disorder since 2001. I am unhappy to read such a poor studies concerning illness. Especially the limited amounts of patients and the placebo-nonsense. How can you compare those factories when not knowing or discussing the exact state of illness between the patients.

More over why are you so worried about hospitilations? I'll tell it to you, my frieds, the afraid amongst mind-doctors is doctor-miss-conduct caused by mania which can lead to hospitilation. Nevertheless when depression is poorly treated in hospital and being therefore not shown by statistics, it is not a problem at all.

The real dilemma should be the treatment of depressions to avoid early retirements, loss of work and so on.

Anti-manic blockers are used to avoid manic symptions of course but not all the time like you psykiatrics are typically recomming.

Where are depression blockers then and why aren't they taken all the time? Mood of human mind during same period of time can go in one direction only. How can one stabilize the mood with a single pill, e.g. Zyprexa, Risperdal, or Serequel in both ends like you claim in your studies. Of course one can do it when mixing anti-manic and anti-depression medicine together, but what is the use of such a pill?

I am taking in every day basis only Lamictal as mood stabilizer. If needed I'll have Zyprexa for manic and Seroxat for depressive symptions, but not both together. The above recept comes from my empritic data only but it has been shown to work for several others as well.

Yours sincererly, Jukka Reinikainen, geologist, Ph.D., Finland

Posted by: Jukka Reinikainen at October 5, 2007 3:38 AM

I am Bipolar II. And have been on medication for 12+ years. During that time, I have had about 6 depressive episodes. I have been on an anti-depressant through each one (Wellbutrin). My doctor added Lamictal as a mood stabilizer and it helped. I have not been on a only a mood stabilizer while experiencing a depressive episode. Please visit my blog for more information - The Bipolar CEO - www.bipolarceo.com

Posted by: Greg at October 20, 2007 5:13 PM

I have been diagnoised with Bi-Polar since 1999. I am on zyprexa, wellbutrin/lamictal and prozac. It is a scarey disease the more I find out about it. I wish there was a cure so that I don,t think that I will have it until the rest of my life.

Posted by: Paul Eckel at October 22, 2007 3:05 PM

My 18 year-old son is bipolar 2 and at risk for diabetes because of his weight and family history. He is currently on abilify (a specific for bipolar 1) and effexor. Can you suggest medications I might research that are specific for bipolar 2 and do not increase his diabetes risk? Thank you.

Posted by: patsean at October 24, 2007 11:33 AM

I have been on tablets for the last 15 years, using both a stabilizer and a anti-depression. Although the strengh has been changed a little each year, sometimes up and sometimes down, I have found my GP to brilliant in the care of my bi-polar 2 condition. Here in Ireland the names of our drugs are different than those in the U-S-A.

Posted by: Nik Houlihan at December 9, 2007 10:16 PM

It`s incredible to see so many people bipolar,I take lithium,and sometimes an antidepressant.Last week I almost put fire to the house.help.Its true I mixed alcohol to stimulate.for parents to understand.It is not easy to deal with parents that are ignorant.I'll keep on,have 4 children and won!t give up.NEVER.God bless youall.

Posted by: André at March 8, 2008 2:49 PM

Hello all,
My friend George Denslow is bipolar and has spent the last 20+ years developing a holistic spiritual approach to bipolar that has enabled him to live without medication. He's actually just written a really great book about his experience and what he's learned that I think could really help those of you who are struggling; he's been there. The book is called, Living Out of Darkness: A personal journey of embracing the bipolar opportunity, and is available from his website - www.LivingOutofDarkness.com - and on Amazon (You should be able to order it through your local bookstore too.)

p.s. I've included his e-mail address above, instead of mine, in case any of you want to contact him about the book :).

Blessings