November 12, 2007

Comments

My son ended his life 11/19 because his medicine wasnt working..in 4 months he was on 5 different meds.. I dont know the name of the med. He said his mind was messing with him and wasnt right.. He was confused, couldnt carry on a conversation depressed, sat with his head down and was trying to deal with what the doctors gave him.He was in the AirForce for 5 years and from papers we have found had this problem then, but nothing done about it. I feel like I failed him because I didnt know enough about this sickness. Please we need to educate ourselves about this to help others..

Posted by: jkeith at December 16, 2007 9:15 PM

JKeith, I am sorry to hear about your son. I'm sure people tell you, time and again, it is not your failure and not your fault. Anyone who raises a son or daughter who can get into the Air Force and be there for five years, must actually have been doing much right. I am sad that your son made such a difficult decision, especially one that is so wrenching for family. Yet I am sure he would have wanted the best for you, even as you wanted that for him. Please take care of yourself in the most difficult of times.

Posted by: Elisa Mann at December 27, 2007 10:07 PM

jkeith,
I am so sorry for your loss. I am bipolar myself and had an episode over the holidays that was the wurst one to date. I am so thankful that there is sites like this that we can communicate and maybe help each other during our times of need.

Take Care & God Bless!!!! Lynn

Posted by: Lynn Girot at January 10, 2008 1:21 PM

jkeith,
My deepest sympathy. The hardest thing not to do is blame yourself. I went to several courses to understand that there is nothing that we can do to prevent suicide only be there when manic episodes happen, and if you did not know was a problem there is nothing you could of done about it. People who have this illness are very good at diguising that there is something wrong. Denial runs deep. "I don't need medication!", my daughters favorite saying.
God bless!

Help me Lynn,
Our daughter was diagnosed bipolar 5 years ago and is now going through a manic phase (started back on 1/2/08) which anything I say is wrong. She just got her diploma in Industrial Design but still feels like a failure. Her father has been traveling for work so when he is gone on business sheer panic arises in her. She wants to go off her meds and is charging things like crazy, I took her card away and she was very angry with me over that. She has never been physcial but very verbal on the abuse she hands me especially when her dad is out of town. We love her so much but she does not feel that we do, she says we favor her younger brother which is not true. He joined the Navy just so he did not have to be around her anymore. Her episodes usually happen around Christmas because this is when her favorite Art teacher died of cancer. She has so much talent we just wish she could see it the way we do. Everything I said to her today she took the wrong way.
She is now at work and will not be home until 10:30pm which will make for little sleep since I have to get up at 5:00am and I need to make sure she is ok when she gets home.
Love will prevail!

Posted by: lmg at January 24, 2008 5:16 PM

My 21 year old nephew was just diagnosed with bipolar. His first year of College he went into a depression and this year had manic episodes. My sister and husband and family are beside themselves. My nephew is the sweetest person you'd ever want to meet. My question is, where did this come from all of a sudden. He was always ok never had any problems, why now? Does all of a sudden the brain have a chemical imbalance? If anyone has an answer to this question, I would really appreciate knowing. Thanks

Posted by: Maureen at January 26, 2008 12:12 PM

bipolar takes a long time to get use to the meds
i have been doing this for 10 years and do very well now, you have to teach your mind to shut up all the time, it does work if you do it all the time.

Posted by: keith turbo at February 1, 2008 10:51 AM

All my life I have talked without having a period at the end of a sentence. I interrupt everyone that talks. A friend of mine, told me to stop when another person is talking and count to 123. Most of the time, I can't remember to do this. I have started to hold my hands so tight so I won't interrupt people. That is so rude, I just can't help it. Two years ago, my doctor placed me on so much medicine and I was also drinking alcohol at night, I had a seizure and had to have the back of my head stapled with nine staples, then for eight days fell into a coma. Please get another doctor's opinion about your medicine, please check out the Internet about mixing drugs. Doctors are wrong a LOT and cause deaths with people. Please be careful. No one will look out for you,,,,,,,,except YOU. god bless you.

Posted by: June at February 5, 2008 9:07 AM

I know someone who has bipolar disorder. In my essay writing class we have to write an expository essay. I have chosen bipolar disorder as mine. I am so sorry for anyone who has encountered the loss of a loved one due to this illiness. I hope to educate more about it through my paper. I feel this is a serious topic. And good luck to all of you who have bipolar disorder. Things always get worse before they get better. I hope the best for everyone.

Posted by: megan at April 22, 2008 2:27 PM

img, Let your daughter know what state she is in when she is calmer. Give her the facts about her disorder when she is in a calm or more depressed mood. When some one is manic you really can't reach them the way you can if they are coming back to earth so to speak. I know I have bipolar disorder. A suggestion that helped us was when I am in a manic state my family and friends have to tell me my brain is lieing to me again. I can laugh because it sometimes brings me back down quicker and makes the landing easier. She has to have ALL the facts about her disorder so she can deal with it herself too.

Posted by: Dee at May 2, 2008 8:40 PM

My daughter was diagnosied back in September of 2007 with bipolar dosorder and ADHD. I think she has had it since she was 2 to 3 years old. She gets so angry and she herself cannot explain why. When she was 14, she was experimenting with alchol and ended up in a bad situation with a 20 year old boy, since that happened, she has went through stages of cutting herself, phsyically lashing out at me and her dad, hurting herself and being distructive to property.
They started her out on Lithium, then another drug I cannot remember the name of, now she is taking Wellburton and Carbamazepine.

Posted by: BK at May 4, 2008 8:33 AM

I too was diagnosed with BP at twenty one years old. I had been severely depressed for months and then got manic once they put me on anti-depressants. I know what it is like to be young and have this looming over your head. The best things you can do are: 1. get a great shrink who does psychotherapy. 2. Sto drinking!!! the meds are too strong to drink on!!! 3. families need to learn about this disease and all the different shapes it takes. The hardest times I have had were when my family couldn;t sympathasize w what I was going through. They would berate me and call me a lazy good for nothing. They just didn't understand.

Posted by: megan at June 11, 2008 2:24 AM

My husband, his 17 year old daughter, and our 8 year old son suffer from BiPolar disorder. I have been a member of NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) for nearly 20 years, and I am a Family2Family teacher.

In the "old days" abuse of people with mental disorders was common. Parents were blamed. Freak accidents where a pregnant woman became overly frightened were blamed. The plain fact is.. doctors have made great leaps and bounds in research, but they don't know everything. Stereotypes like "blame the parents" continue to abound.

The "research" article I just read about emotional conditions in the home contributing to elevated incidences of BiPolar disorder is insulting, degrading, and frankly, a product of stonehenge medical thinking.

How about THIS fact? Are you aware of the study that found that BiPolar patients are missing between 46 and 75% of their brains' glial cells? Glial cells are those tiny cells that act as messengers between neurons in our brain. Autopsies of bipolar patient's brains found that many of these cells are found dead or half formed in the hippocampus.

So imagine what it must be like to be missing those key components of our brains? How will we know when we are simply upset, or terribly angry, when our messenger cells are unable to properly "dock" with neurons? How can we properly interpret social cues or learn social behavior when we are missing a large part of our behavioral learning mechanisms?

BiPolar disorder is now coming to light as an ORGANIC brain illness. Organic meaning originating in the structure of our brain tissue, NOT as a result of external stimuli. Certainly a 'critical home' can exacerbate symptoms, but it doesn't CAUSE them. Negativity doesn't increase the "risk" of bipolar disorder, but chances are the patient already had it in the first place.

How ridiculous to think otherwise.

That is like saying that a person with a congenital heart defect suffered a heart attack because his girlfriend left him.

Posted by: Susan at June 27, 2008 2:06 PM

Great Site...I'm a 39 yr old white male living in south Mississippi .I was diagnosed with Rapid Cycling Mixed Bipolar Disorder about 6 years ago. Due to My Inability to Hold a Job I cannot afford any Medical Help nor do I take any medications. Does anyone Know of any Programs in this State that Offer assistance? Would really like to be able to Focus and Follow thru on things...Thanks in Advance...To those of You whom have a Lost Someone Close My Heart Goes Out to You...Sincerely, Shannon

Posted by: Shannon at September 12, 2008 3:55 PM

Shannon, here is the number for the Mississippi Department of Mental Health:
1-877-210-8513
They should be able to refer you to the nearest county clinic that can help you with medical treatment. For many years I went to a clinic called TCN in Greene County, Ohio, for mental health and addiction issues. The staff was wonderful. The fees in these places are sliding scale, so if you are unemployed you should have to pay very little or nothing for your meds, doctor's visits, and counseling. I strongly urge you to take advantage of the services that are available. They helped me a great deal. Good luck!

Posted by: John at September 15, 2008 9:54 AM

To Megan who made the post in April - Thank you so much for your compassion. Often, it is only those of us who have the condition who are able to understand or WANT to understand the condition. My family (heaven bless 'em) are very close minded when it comes to this type of thing. I even have a brother who says mental disorders are just made up diseases. One of the most difficult things I think for anyone is not feeling understood. It is very painful that I cannot confide in my family. Thank God, I have a husband who does everything he can to understand and he is very supportive. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him. Best Regards, Candace

Posted by: Candace Smith at October 20, 2008 10:58 PM

All people deserve very good life and home loans or just sba loan will make it better. Just because people's freedom bases on money state.

Posted by: HorneSTACEY30 at July 8, 2010 4:56 AM

I see you spent a lot of time updating your website

prohormones for sale

Posted by: buyprohormones at April 23, 2011 1:56 AM

I can't wait for more intereesting posts!
tabletki na odchudzanie

Posted by: szybkieodchudzanie at April 27, 2011 6:37 PM

This website is cool
Betus promotional code

Posted by: betuspromotion at April 29, 2011 9:13 AM

www.pendulum.org is incredible site, bookmarked!
etoro download

Posted by: etorodownload at April 29, 2011 3:48 PM

www.pendulum.org rocks! Bookmarked! Hope will stay here longer
forex trading platform

Posted by: forexplaform at April 30, 2011 3:25 AM

I love www.forum-humanum.ch , bookmarked for future reference

legal steroids

Posted by: ClenbuterolClenn at May 19, 2011 8:58 AM

www.pendulum.org is amazing, bookmarked!

unlock lg

Posted by: nokiaunlock at May 21, 2011 8:30 AM

www.pendulum.org is amazing, bookmarked!
188bet.net